WIRRAL HISTORY
welcome to wirral history.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

WIRRAL HISTORY
welcome to wirral history.
WIRRAL HISTORY
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 32 on Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:46 pm
Gallery

Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 Empty
Latest topics
» 'The Hollows'
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 06, 2014 3:57 am by Damian O'Kane

» Flintshire Atomic Site. TUNNELS
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 am by vatansever223

» Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 am by vatansever223

» The Dungeons of New Brighton....

» Birkenhead Park Transport Festival STEAM engines
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 18, 2010 11:14 am by THE BOSS

» New Brighton Neptune Development
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 26, 2010 8:20 am by THE BOSS

» New Brighton & Wallasey - Bygone Days
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2010 4:52 am by THE BOSS

» Fort Perch Rock newbrighton
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeThu May 20, 2010 4:10 am by helma

» Last Orders
Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 6:26 am by THE BOSS

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2

3 posters

Go down

Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 Empty Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2

Post by PRACHUAP Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:40 pm

During WW2 there was an RAF owned depot for the reserve storage of aviation fuel (100 octane petrol) referred to as Bromborough.

The depot would have had a number of semi-underground storage tanks and was probably supplied by pipeline transfer from a nearby Mersey basin where tanker ships would berth.

I believe the site was actually nearer Eastham than Bromborough and this was probably the site:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.320953&lon=-2.956955&z=17.3&r=0&src=msl

Can anyone confirm the location? Any details or leads to web info will be welecome.

Prachuap

PRACHUAP

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-07

Back to top Go down

Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 Empty Re: Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2

Post by THE BOSS Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:34 am

hi Prachuap welcome to wirral history Very Happy this is all i can find, hope this helps. sorry i cant help you more.

The Furness Vale underground pipeline, operates at 1100 psi pressure and forms part of the key GPSS network running west - east between the PSD at Backford near Chester, just south of the giant oil refinery Stanlow Ellesmere Port and the PSDs at Rawcliffe Bridge and Killingholme on Humberside. The Backford GPSS site is referred to by locals as the Civil Reserve Depot and there's also an old abandoned neighbouring PSD known as Butter Hill which is next door to Chester Zoo.

Still in Cheshire, you can find an old GPSS depot alongside the main Manchester to Crewe train line near to where it passes the world famous Jodrell Bank Radio Astronomy Telescope. The Goostrey PSD is beyond the train station towards the neighbouring village of Twemlow Green, but it was listed for disposal by the MoD in 2007. Previously it has also been used for the commercial supply of aviation fuel from Stanlow to Manchester International Airport via Backford.

Another depot in the Cheshire countryside, on the same Stanlow to Manchester Airport line, can be found amongst the old Holford Moss brine extraction fields at Plumley in a secure compound near to Cheadle Farm.

The branch to Backford from Stanlow also uses a storage depot near the oil refineries. But which one? There are obviously numerous ones around the Ellesmere Port area. Look around Eastham Docks near Bromborough on the Wirral peninsula and you'll find an underground tank farm hidden away behind the club house for Eastham Golf Course on Ferry Road and tucked in next to the Carlett Park campus for Wirral Metropolitan College!

www.secret-bases.co.uk
THE BOSS
THE BOSS
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-11-10

http://wirralvaleting.web.officelive.com

Back to top Go down

Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2 Empty Re: Bromborough (Eastham) - Aviation Fuel Reserve Depot WW2

Post by PRACHUAP Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:36 am

Thanks Boss but I have already seen that info.

As you might expect, I have already done a lot of research into WW2 fuel depots - specifically aviation fuel storage for RAF - since it is related to my main interest, Military Airfields of WW2.

Across in another forum AiX (Airfield Information Exchange) we have a topic trying to pin down the locations of all the depots including Bromborough.

We are pretty sure that the site I marked is 'it' but hoped that someone with local knowledge might be able to confirm.

Incidentally, although I am London born, I still have a house (rented) in Wallasey so I am quite familiar with Wirral.

Thanks again for your help, there may be another reader who will add in due course.

I have another similar query for oil storage in Birkenhead but will post that as a separate topic in due course.

Peter (Prachuap)

PRACHUAP

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by THE BOSS Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:34 pm

That will be great bud thanks.
THE BOSS
THE BOSS
Admin
Admin

Male
Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2008-11-10

http://wirralvaleting.web.officelive.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vatansever223 Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:35 am

Thanks Boss but I have already seen that info.

Outsourcing agencia de traducciones
cheap web hosting

vatansever223

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum